March 25, 2020
The Leading Note physical store remains closed for in-store shopping.
However, our online store is OPEN. Or feel free to e-mail or call us to make an order.
Please take advantage of our website for your browsing purposes. We have recently put hundreds of titles on sale for 20%-50% off in order to reduce our inventory for the store move! Simply visit our Sale Guide and select your instrument to see these titles. Please note that purchasing options are primarily limited to in-stock items, as we will not be able to make orders from a large number of publishers.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Thanks for your understanding and stay safe!
March 18, 2020
The Leading Note will remain operational for our regular business hours (10:00 am – 5:00 pm Mon-Sat), but only to serve the following:
- Pick up orders, and
- Ship out orders.
Regrettably, in order to ensure the safety of both our employees and our customers, effective Thursday, March 19, we will be closing our doors to customers for the purpose of in-store browsing. However, all other aspects of our business will continue to operate as usual. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
March 16, 2020
WE ARE OPEN! We are maintaining our regular business hours (10:00 am -5:00 pm Monday-Saturday) and are keeping an eye on all updates from Ottawa Public Health regarding COVID-19.
In the meantime, we are taking the following steps to help ensure the safety of our staff and customers:
- Increased cleaning – We are regularly disinfecting common surfaces in the store (including door handles, our credit card machine, phones, and keyboards [both kinds!]), as well as increased cleaning of our bathrooms and on the shop floor.
- New safety measures – You may notice our staff wearing gloves or keeping their distance when they talk to you. Rest assured that we are not being unfriendly! We’re just making sure that our staff and customers are as safe as possible.
- Disinfecting work surfaces – Our staff will be disinfecting shared work surfaces regularly, so we ask for your patience while we take this extra cleaning step.
How can you help? We recommend the following!
March 11, 2020
The following is a list of commonly asked questions regarding the transition from the existing Leading Note music store to Long & McQuade at the end of April. If you have a question that is not addressed here, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
March and April at The Leading Note
- When is your last day of business?
- The Leading Note on Elgin Street will close its doors at the end of the day on Saturday, April 18, 2020. Immediately after that date, we will be working towards a smooth transition of our stock (and expertise!) to Long & McQuade on Hunt Club Road. Online, email and phone orders will be responded to on an ongoing basis, but it will take a bit of time before you will be able to browse our collection with Sheilah and her team at the new location.
- What about current orders I’ve placed with you?
- If you have an order in with us that has been filled, we would appreciate it if it was picked up on or before April 18. However, feel free to reach out to us to work out alternate arrangements if you need to pick up the order at Long & McQuade after that date. Orders that have not arrived as of April 18 will need to be picked up at the Hunt Club location. Please refer to our ordering deadlines below for any new requests you may have.
February 25, 2020
BIG NEWS: Our Team Joins Long & McQuade to Continue Our Legacy!
In May of this year, our store will become part of Long & McQuade Musical Instruments, Canada’s nationwide music success story!
Our physical store will be integrated into their Hunt Club location, in Ottawa. This move will bring Long & McQuade’s numerous resources and national reach to the next chapter of The Leading Note’s print music adventure. We are delighted to announce that Sheilah Craven, our remarkable store manager for the past 20 years will be joining the new team – as will our wonderful employees, Vicente García and Kevin Burke. They will be able to offer the same level of excellent service and expertise that you have come to expect from us.
We are certainly expecting that the transition with Long & McQuade will go smoothly and The Leading Note’s existing website will remain available until its functionality is integrated into Long & McQuade’s site. So, the expertise and personalized service that you have come to expect from us will continue.
December 24, 2019
Our Delivery Service to Ottawa Pianos Has Ended
We would like to give a big thanks to our friends at Ottawa Pianos for their support over the past year during the Elgin Street reconstruction. Their kind offer to allow their store to be used as a drop-off point has made life much easier for a lot of our customers.
However, now that Elgin Street is open to traffic once again, this drop-off service will no longer be in operation. Everything is pretty much back to normal around here and we look forward to seeing you in the store!
February 15, 2019
An important message for our local customers here in Ottawa-Gatineau and anyone visiting us from out of town:
As many of our local customers know, the Elgin Street Renewal Project is now in full swing. While it is easy to access our shop via Gladstone and there is still ample on-street parking, some of you may feel less inclined to come downtown.
Anticipating less in-store traffic, we have decided to move forward with a pilot project to reduce the hours that our store is open to the public. This will allow us to maintain a balance between being available to our local customers, serving musicians locally, nationally and internationally via our world-class online store, and keeping the business healthy.
Beginning February 18th, our nominal opening hours will be:
- Monday to Friday: 10 am to 2 pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 5 pm
- Sunday: closed
January 2, 2019
Introducing FREE DELIVERY to uOttawa School of Music
The Leading Note is pleased to offer a new free delivery service specifically for uOttawa students and faculty.