May 24, 2018
Are you a classically-trained musician looking for a career in music retail that leaves time for teaching or performing? Are you passionate about building small business and working with wonderful customers and fellow musicians?
The Leading Note is Canada’s classical and choral print music specialist. The store opened in 1999 and developed into what is now Ottawa’s classical music hub. Over the last few years, our customer base has grown geographically throughout Canada and the US via our vibrant online store.
The Assistant Manager reports to the General Manager of The Leading Note and will be working with The Leading Note’s committed owners and team. This position is multi-functional and involves a diverse range of responsibilities. This part-time, career-oriented position is long-term and may evolve over time. This employee will play a key role in the growth of both on-line and in-store aspects of the business.
November 21, 2017
Some of you may already be familiar with the British publisher SJ Music, which specializes in chamber music for amateurs, particularly string players. The Leading Note is pleased to announce that the entire SJ Music catalogue is now available from us (now distributed in North America by C. F. Peters)!
Be sure to check out all 101 titles of the quirky and eclectic SJ Music catalogue.
April 27, 2016
The Leading Note would like to announce a partnership with Sistema Global to introduce Sistema-inspired Resources (SiR), a project that will be the most comprehensive source and creative hub of Sistema-inspired print music and pedagogical resources worldwide.
Sistema Global has long provided free repertoire and pedagogical resources meant for everyone in the global El Sistema community. To complement this, The Leading Note side of the project is intended to provide resources for sale that reflect the recommendations from a number of Sistema programs and their members. The resources on the SiR product page will consist of:
- commercially available music from established publishers that has been proven to work for existing Sistema programs:
- this evolving project will provide a forum for programs to recommend and share ideas about published works that kids love to play.
- original compositions and arrangements in a wide array of styles (classical, jazz, world, pop, rap, etc.) that are suitable for Sistema programs:
- this will encourage programs and composers to create a revenue stream by using the platform to sell their own successfully performed arrangements and compositions, and
- it will include multi-level and flexible-instrumentation works that accommodate a wide range of ensembles.
A 15% discount will be offered to all programs registered with Sistema Global for all music on our site (in addition, a percentage of each sale will be donated to Sistema Global).
Please contact us if:
- you have any recommendations for commercially available music from established publishers that you have found to work well for your group, or
- you have any material that you would like to be sold through this site. Given that all copyright considerations are successfully met, all original music will be added to the SiR site and a percentage of the proceeds will be directed to Sistema Global.
January 1, 2016
LEADING IN CANADA
- a wonderful brick and mortar shop featuring a broad and deep inventory on hand with remarkable staff who are trained musicians and experts in classical print music
- a world class website and online store with fantastic search and browse capabilities, backed by personal communication and service
- owners and staff who care passionately about building community through music – founders of the OrKidstra program (a social program through music for over 500 children from 42 linguistic and cultural backgrounds)
LEADING IN SERVICE
- exceptional research service for finding and ordering print music thanks to our close collaborations with hundreds of publishers and suppliers worldwide
- in-stock orders shipped within 24 hours with free shipping on orders over $100
- quick turn-around times on special orders with rush ordering or digital custom prints available for emergencies
LEADING IN PRICING
- competitive pricing (remember to factor in shipping costs, taxes, and customs fees for a true cost comparison with other sources)
- teacher’s discounts available and a customer loyalty program offering bonus free shipments and gift certificates, where applicable
December 1, 2015
The official countdown is on – Christmas is fast approaching! This Christmas season, give the best gift of all, the gift of music! The Leading Note is the perfect place to find gifts for the musicians in your life – including yourself. We have a wide selection of gift items to fill your holiday home galore!
|What better way to start the morning with a burst of music (and coffee of course).
Check out our collection of music-themed mugs and glasses.
|Keep your feet warm and festive with these plush fuzzy knit socks. We have socks of many different colours and patterns.|
April 14, 2015
The Leading Note will be hosting an informative, complimentary workshop on the morning of Friday, May 8, 2015. The workshop will cover all of the aspects of the brand new RCM Celebration Series® for Piano and will be led by Dr. Kent McWilliams, a senior member of the Royal Conservatory’s College of Examiners. This will be a not-to-be-missed workshop for all piano teachers and advanced students!
Here are all the pertinent details, including information on how to RSVP. Seating is limited, so please reserve your spot today!
- Date: Friday, May 8, 2015
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (refreshments will be served)
- Location: First Unitarian Congregation (30 Cleary Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, just off Richmond Road)
- Transportation: Ample free parking – also served by buses 2 and 87 (stop at Cleary Avenue and Richmond Road) – accessible by bicycle from the Ottawa River Pathway
- Admission: FREE!
- Door Prize: Books from the new Celebration Series
- RSVP: Please reserve in advance through the RCM website (scroll down until you find the May 8 Ottawa/Gatineau workshop) or with The Leading Note directly by emailing (email@example.com) or phoning (613-569-7888 or 1-866-569-7888)
November 19, 2014
May 21, 2014
The Leading Note is excited to announce the launch of new website features that we are sure you will find extremely useful for making purchasing decisions. Our homepage now features a series of Leading Note Product Guides, including:
All three guides are an ongoing project for us with the goal of making our website a rich source of information for all of your print music purchasing needs. We are always open to feedback and suggestions for improvement! Please leave a comment below or contact us here.
The Leading Note:
Selection, Information, Expertise, Service, Community
Why would you order anywhere else?