November 14, 2012
Here at The Leading Note, we are proud to celebrate the life and work of John Cage, one of the most influential figures in music of the twentieth century. This year marks 100 years since his birth.
April 13, 2012
They are finally here – all 13 books in the new RCM Voice Series arrived at The Leading Note yesterday afternoon. RCM’s music publisher, Frederick Harris, has given the series the name “Resonance”, following in the new naming tradition of “Bridges” and “Overtones” (the new guitar and flute series, respectively). The series follows an identical grading system to the old 3rd Edition books – there are Repertoire books for Preparatory to Level 8 and companion books of Vocalises and Recitatives for Grades 5-7, 8, and 9-10 (this last one available in high or low voice).
The new series also includes these great new features:
- a piano accompaniment CD included with each Repertoire book
- musical theatre selections are now included in the Repertoire books
- an IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) chart is also included in each of the Repertoire and Vocalises/Recitatives books
As always, the series includes a wide range of eras and styles and features a variety of languages. Also included is a selection of Canadian songs, composers, and arrangers. These books are essential for RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music) exam preparation but provide a rich and varied selection of repertoire for any voice student. A new RCM Voice Syllabus has also been released to replace the 2005 Edition so come by soon to pick up your copy!
December 7, 2011
Haul out the holly;
Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.
Fill up the stocking,
I may be rushing things, but deck the halls again now.
The Leading Note is well-known as Canada’s Leading Classical Print Music Specialist, but did you know we also have a well-stocked Broadway section? I claim a fair bit of credit for that. As a classically trained pianist turned musical theatre pianist/musical director, I try to keep an eye out for the newest Broadway releases, and then twist Sheilah’s rubber arm and get her to order them in.
Newly added to our shelves are two multi-Tony Award winning shows: The Book of Mormon & Memphis
Other modern broadway hits gracing our shelves include
- Next to Normal
- Legally Blonde
- Avenue Q
- Spring Awakening
- 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- Billy Elliot
- and many other gems.
Of course we also carry classics such as
- Phantom of the Opera
- My Fair Lady
- The Music Man
- Les Misérables
- and many other popular standards!
My favourites, however are the unique rarities/oddities:
- Danny Elfman’s Nightmare Before Christmas
- tick…tick…BOOM! Jonathan Larson’s OTHER show.
- Snoopy!!! The sequel to “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”
- Olympus, a musical composed by Ottawa local, Larry Tarof
- High Fidelity (Yes, this was made into a musical. It bombed. But the score, co-written by Tom Kitt of “Next to Normal” fame and Amanda Green, daughter of the famous Broadway team Comden & Green, contains some amazing music!)
So what about you?
Is there a broadway vocal score on your Christmas wish list?
Is there a show you’d like us to get in?
Me, I’m asking Santa for Frank Wildhorn’s newest offering, “Wonderland”. My fingers are crossed for a pre-Christmas release date!